We have a 1-year-old!
When Lydia, our 4-year-old, turned 1, we started a tradition of taking her picture with her favorite stuffed animal — a sock monkey — each year. So for Emma’s first birthday yesterday, we began the tradition again. We didn’t have to search very hard for the right stuffed animal. Her dino, given to her by Lydia for Christmas last year, is the love of her life.
- a cuddle-bug. She loves to give hugs, snuggle, and rest her head on our shoulders. Sometimes when she is crawling around, she will rush over, lay her head on my foot or lap, and say “Mmmmm.” Then she will go back to whatever she was doing.
- reluctantly obedient. If she is approaching something dangerous, I say to her, “Emma, come here please.” She will always come to me, but not before looking back and forth between me and the direction of the danger. When she comes to me, she hangs her head and whines the whole way.
- in love with her daddy and sister. She lights up when she sees them, and regularly grunts to get their attention.
- a kisser. When the mood strikes, she leans forward saying, “Mmmmm” with the expectation of a kiss. Once kissed, she leans toward the next closest person in the room. She repeats this process until everyone has been kissed at least once, but most often several times. She recently did this in the grocery store. We all had to stop every few feet to meet the demands of another kiss.
1-year-old Emma can:
- say “mama,” “dada,” “eee-yah” (Lydia), “duh” (dog), “Sheshush” (Jesus), “kikky” (kitty), “ah duh” (all done)
- sign “more,” “all done,” “please”
- cruise along furniture
- stand for a split second
- pat her tummy or point to her nose when asked to do so
1-year-old Emma is the sweetest, most adorable 1-year-old in existence. Don’t try and argue with me!