I Need Space — But it Can Wait

by Rebecca on November 8, 2011

I turn around from grabbing an ingredient out of the refrigerator and she is there, underfoot.

I stand up after cleaning out the counter under the bathroom sink, and my stiff-from-crouching knees nearly trip over her little body.

I swoosh around the kitchen in a flurry, trying to put groceries away while she keeps one hand on my pant leg.

I settle down to nurse the baby, and her wiggly body is nudging its way first onto my lap, then over my shoulders, then at my feet.

I hurry out the door, and accidentally bonk her in the head with the car seat because she is lingering too close by my side in too tight of a space.

I feel frustration.  I feel too needed.  I want space to myself.  I speak a little too harshly.

And then, when she is in bed and the house is quiet, I sneak into her room and crawl in her bed, where I hold her as close as possible.

And I vow to do better tomorrow.  For she is growing up faster than I can grasp — she is getting more independent by the day.  One day, she won’t want to play the role of my shadow.  And I will miss it.

{ 9 comments }

von November 8, 2011 at 10:22 pm

So true. I have to always remember this.

Vanessa November 8, 2011 at 10:52 pm

I know, I have a hard time with this with Abby. Poki not because she likes space like me ;) I need to be nicer to Abby.

Jenny November 8, 2011 at 11:52 pm

Very sweet…I love you, Becca.

Emily November 9, 2011 at 12:05 am

I totally understand.

Sarah November 9, 2011 at 7:33 am

Can I still blame my tears after reading your post on my post-pregnancy hormones? I feel the same way. I get so frustrated during the day and find myself wishing for a little space, then when my daughter’s sleeping and I finally have that “me” time, I miss her. Thanks for reminding me to enjoy it because it will all be over too soon!

Diane Wright November 9, 2011 at 8:50 am

This is every mother’s reality. I will say, that if there are any regrets, it’s that I didn’t take more time during those years when I was the whole world to them because it is so fleeting. I guess it’s all or very little. You either feel smothered by them or you long to be more a part of their life. You are a wonderful mother Becca, no worries.

mindy November 9, 2011 at 3:46 pm

thanks for making me cry! i am always guilty of this and i, too, go in at night and find myself trying to make up for it or wanting to wake them and tell them how much i love them and how i vow to do better the next day. remember every day is a new day…a new start, a chance to do better. love you becc!
i SO feel that everyday. when can we see you again?

Jess November 10, 2011 at 9:49 pm

I feel this way every day too. It’s nice to know I’m not the only one! It’s just like everything else I guess, there is always room for improvement!

Raquel Bonino November 13, 2011 at 5:36 pm

i needed that today….frustrating, emotional day….thanks for reminding me how good i have it!

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: