Introducing…

by Rebecca on August 18, 2011

EMMA!

8 lbs. 1 oz, 21 inches long, blond hair, dimples when she smiles in her sleep!

The little dear was born August 9 and is adjusting to life outside the womb quite nicely.  We love her to pieces, of course.

Big sister Lydia has no problems with her new little sister, but boy, does she have problems with her parents!  We’re all getting lessons in controlling our tempers together.  Hopefully we’ll ace the temper control exam sooner rather than later.

Within a week of my first birth, I was lucky enough to get a severe case of the flu, which ultimately landed me in Instacare with an IV stuck in my arm for several hours.  Nursing a floppy newborn when you have a needle stuck in one arm is no small feat, I assure you.  Thank goodness for my mom, who stood by my side and helped me through that.

This time around, no flu has been forthcoming, much to my great happiness.  Instead, I have been blessed with insomnia.  No, this isn’t sleep deprivation caused by my newborn.  My newborn wakes up twice a night to be fed.  If she cries at any other time during the night, my awesome teammate husband tends to her.

This insomnia is just that: insomnia.  I can’t sleep.  I can’t.  I can’t take naps, I can’t fall asleep at night…I just can’t sleep.  It’s quite miserable.  With many, many prayers, I did finally get a good night’s sleep last night and I’m hoping and praying for another one tonight.

I have determined that it is simply my fate to have some issue to deal with after each birth.  I guess it wouldn’t be a good birth story if I didn’t have some physical trauma immediately after the physical trauma of birth.

And with that, I will share the story of Emma’s birth.  I don’t know about you, but I truly love reading birth stories.  I’ll even read birth stories about people I don’t know.  If you love them too, you’re welcome.  If you don’t, then stop reading right here!

I was induced on August 9 with the intention of giving birth naturally.  After a couple hours, the contractions were incredibly intense and I was second guessing my desire for a natural birth.

My nurse was incredibly supportive of my decision either way but my doctor was clear that he would prefer for me to have an epidural.  My first labor was only 4 hours (also induced) and my doctor worried he wouldn’t make it to the hospital in time to deliver the baby if I went naturally since when you have a natural labor, you can’t hold back the pushes.

When the pains were their most intense, I requested an epidural and my nurse suggested checking my progress to see if maybe I could hold out.  I was only dilated to a 4 and I had been in labor for about 2 1/2 hours by that point.  I really thought I would have been further along since my first labor was so fast so I started to get nervous that I wouldn’t be able to hold out.  Plus, the anesthesiologist was about to go into a C-Section and wouldn’t be available for an hour or more.

So I decided to get the epidural.  And it didn’t work.  Just like with my last birth.  Once it was finally in, it took an hour to get the epidural working properly (while my labor actually slowed down) and guess what?  As soon as it did work, it was pretty much time to push that baby out.  My doctor arrived, I pushed three times and out she came, perfect and beautiful and healthy.

Total labor time?  4 1/2 hours.  Total time it SHOULD have taken?  Probably 3 1/2 because the epidural slowed my labor down for a while.  My nurse was also tied up with another patient for about a half hour and she suspected I probably would have been ready the whole time she was with the other patient.

In the end, the experience didn’t matter because my daughter was born perfect and whole.  But I do wish my doctor had been more supportive of a natural childbirth.  I was nervous as it was, and his doubts really swayed me.  Looking back, I see that I would have only had to have endured another 30 minutes to an hour of labor without an epidural.  It would have been possible, and as crazy as it may sound to some people, I’m sad that I didn’t get to experience natural labor.

Plus, I really hate the epidural process and it left me completely numb for SIX hours after it was taken out.

So I am putting YOU in charge of reminding me to read this post the next time I am about to give birth.  Remind me that I CAN do it naturally and that I WANT to do it naturally.  Remind me that I progress from a 4 to a 10 in minutes and if I can just hold out for a little while, the birth will be over before I know it.

In the meantime, I’m going to attempt a nap.

{ 15 comments }

Jessica August 18, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Rebecca, congrats on your little one. I have heard that contractions are more intense when you are induced. Just something I have heard! Sorry the birth didn’t go as planned, but you have a beautiful healthy little girl! Good luck with the sleep issue!

Haley August 18, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Wow! First of all I’m impressed you are blogging so quickly after giving birth and 2nd of all I’m impressed you almost did it naturally! Yes, of course you can do it next time. Sorry about the no sleep. that stinks! We can’t wait to meet emma when you are feeling up to it.

Sarah August 18, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I can relate. With Bevan the epidural only took in one leg and then I had to have a spinal tap, and ended up having to have an emergency c-section, and him being in the NICU for 2 weeks. Definitely not my dream scenario. I remember being sad that I couldn’t have the vaginal delivery I wanted, but as soon as you see that baby you know that none of that really matters. Thanks for sharing your story, hopefully you can get some shut eye soon, and here’s a link to a birth story of one of my friends who decided to do an at home birth for her 5th child. Pure awesomeoness:) http://maryellephotography.blogspot.com/2011/05/lydias-home-birth.html

Kristina P. August 18, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Congrats! She’s beautiful. And doesn’t look like she’s tried to stab anyone yet, but just you wait! :)

Kalli August 18, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Dude, either way you’re a rockstar. And you CAN do it next time.

In spite of my own proclamations about natural childbirth, guess what? I think I’m on board with doing again.

CRAZY TALK.

von August 18, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Congrats!! You are amazing!! Next time you will do it, and get a Dr. that will support you!

Connie August 18, 2011 at 5:23 pm

She is beautiful! I’m so happy for you and I hope you get some sleep…soon!
I’ve done both natural and epidural. The first time I had an epidural, I thought I had died and gone to heaven! :)

bonnie August 18, 2011 at 11:06 pm

Great birth story, Rebecca! You definitely need to give yourself more credit for all the (induced!) contractions you felt. You went natural for the majority of your labor after all, and hard labor at that! I love the picture of Lydia and Emma together. Our little Rebecca has her girls now :)

Emily August 19, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Congratulations! She’s beautiful! I will for sure support you and your desire for a natural birth the next go round. ;)

Elizabeth Giuliacci August 19, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Congratulations, Rebecca! I’m so happy for you and your adorable family. I TOTALLY have insomnia after having a baby…for a while. It’s insomnia due to anxiety that I won’t get enough sleep. So my worrying about not getting enough sleep keeps me awake so I actually don’t get sleep cause I…well, you get the cycle. I don’t know if yours is the same. I tried everything…Benadryl, Melatonin, relaxation…no cigar. But it will pass. I get all kinds of good sleep now!

Hey…and way to go, blogging so soon! And how are your frozen meals working out for you?

Kim Wright August 21, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Yay Emma…I’m glad she is here! She is so beautiful and I’m sure that Lydia is so excited to be a big sis! Did she get my card? I hope you can get some sleep soon! Love you guys!

Linda August 21, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Emma is just beautiful and so are you. I am on my way. :)

mindy August 23, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Oh Becca, I loved reading your birth story! they are each one so special and i can picture each moment of pain and stress and indecision and then peace and happiness and emotion. i am sorry your doctor wasn’t as supportive it really DOES depend alot on staff to do a natural birth…cuz most don’t support unless you have a midwife and really nice nurses. it makes all the diff. in the world.
SHE IS BEAUTIFUL…i can not wait to meet her in person.! too bad my kids were ornery little stinks and fell asleep as soon as we left morgan on sunday. we didn’t dare stop the car…you know how that goes. Di said you are already in skinny jeans! what the ?! how do you get so skinny and modelish so fast. i love your guts…all four of you… i will pray for sleep to come to you…my friend out here suffers from that …i should ask her what her secrets are?

Camille August 23, 2011 at 8:31 pm

I LOVE that dimple of hers! So sorry to hear about the insomnia!…. Hopefully, it will all catch up to you soon and you’ll just sleep for 72 hrs straight! :) Thank goodness for help on the side!

Diane Wright August 24, 2011 at 8:03 am

Becca, Birth stories are great because it is such a miracle. When you are in pain, it is hard to make a decision at all let alone the right decision. Sorry you had to experience that. Emma is so darn cute. I love how she stares into the world with such curiosity in her little face. She is so soft and warm and sweet. I miss her already. Don’t worry about Lydia. Cut her some slack. It’s a stage that will go away. The trick is not to make a big deal on her tantrums and praise her sweetness and it will all be ok. I promise. I loved our visit and I know it was a pain to come out to me, but there was no way I would be able to handle taking the gang to you. Thanks again. Love you all.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: