We Had an Ultrasound and it’s a…

by Rebecca on March 9, 2011

I have five brothers.  Four are older and one is six years younger.  When we got pregnant this time and started wondering what this little creature would be, I hoped so bad I wouldn’t have a boy.

Don’t get me wrong.  I love my brothers.  I love my nephews.  I love my husband, who is a boy.  I love my dad, my grandpa, my uncles and all the boys in my life.

I just don’t want one yet.

You see, I still want another child after this one.  That means that if I have a boy as my second child, that boy would ultimately be a big brother.

And big brothers are bullies.

But if my third child is a boy, it will be a little brother.

And little brothers are sweeties.

Big brothers push you down the stairs.  They hit, punch, kick and scare you.  They use their large statures and deep voices to terrify your little friends.  They break your brand new headbands and your jump ropes.  They tease you for liking dolls and other “girlie” things.  They don’t let you try “boy” things since you are a girl.  They fart.  A lot.

But little brothers, oh, little brothers.  With little brothers, you can mold them.  You can carry them around and treat them like your very own baby.  And then they love you for it.  They look up to you and let you teach them how to read and how to play your favorite games.  They can get annoying every now and then, but for the most part, a little brother is the perfect little pet to keep by your side.

There is a silver lining in the big brother issue.  Big brothers grow up and leave the house.  They date women and then they start to realize that their little sister is a young woman too.  Then they get sweet.  They take their sister to baseball games and teach her how to bowl.  They get protective and they stand in awe as they watch their baby sister grow up.  Every now and then they tell her nice things.  Sometimes they don’t know quite how to describe how amazed they are by her growing up so they stumble on the words and say “You’re getting so big” over and over until Dad takes them aside and tells them it’s not nice to tell a teenage girl she is “big.”  And then they correct themselves and tell her she is turning into a lovely young woman.

They cry at their little sister’s wedding and they hold her baby with love.  They tell their wives they are so happy to see their little sister so happy as a mother.  They call to check up on her and see if she needs any help.

And then it is all worth it.  Then, the little sister gets over being teased and beat up because she sees that her big, strong brothers are softies and that they love her.

But it would have been better to not go through the being teased and being beat up right?

That is why I am happy I am having a girl as my second child.  (Bet that after all that boy talk, you thought I was having a boy, right?)  If a boy ever does come along in our family, he will be the younger brother, the pet, instead of the older brother, the resident bully until he moves out of the house.

And my little girl gets a sister, something I never had!

Disclaimer: This is all based on my own experiences.  I did not consult scientific data that would support such a claim of older brothers being bullies and little brothers being sweeties.

{ 13 comments }

Brian Reiswig March 9, 2011 at 2:10 pm

I had no idea you were such a gifted writer! And yes, I found myself in protest of your initial claim “big brothers are bullies”, until I read your post. You described my experience as a big brother exacly.

Also, its thrilling to hear your expecting, and a girl no less!

Jenny March 9, 2011 at 2:33 pm

I second these claims! Having grown up with 3 older brothers (who didn’t seem to like me until they moved out of the house) terrorized me & excluded me from “all things boy.” Unfortunately, my parents didn’t give me a “baby brother pet” to play with either, nor did I ever get a sister…pause for pity party here…however, congratulations on another little girl! Liddy-bug will be an awesome big sister & we already know that Ryan is a top-notch daddyfriend. Hurray for babies! :)

Alicia Liburdi March 9, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Congrats Mama! I don’t have any little brothers, but my husband is the oldest of 5 boys, so I got to adopt some – and you’re so right! They’re so much fun to “play” with, ie pick on!!!

Kristina P. March 9, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Congrats!! See, I’ve always wanted boys. It hasn’t been until my first niece that I sort of like little girls.

Connie March 9, 2011 at 5:51 pm

How exciting! It’s good for Lydia to have a friend that she can share a room, clothes, secrets with! I have a big brother and he really was awesome! I guess they’re not all like that, just some.

Linda March 9, 2011 at 6:08 pm

As I remember you wanted a baby sister but when you got a brother instead you admitted you were glad because you didn’t want to share your room or toys. Okay, let’s see you write about that.

Emily March 9, 2011 at 10:03 pm

That is exciting! I had two girls before my little boy, but I will say that little boy is my favorite. Maybe because he’s a little brother? ;)

Christy March 9, 2011 at 11:53 pm

I have a “little” brother, he’s not a sweetie…you’ve met him. But he is the funniest person I know, one of my favorite people to hang out with and pretty much the only person who can make fun of me and make me laugh while he’s doing it.

Super excited that you got your wish of two girls first :) Can’t wait to see her!

Diane Wright March 10, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Ryan had big brother’s too, and even though he was not a little sister, they did bully him and tease him and punch him and make his life miserable and so did their friends. He was their punching bag/scapegoat for more years than I care to remember. His sisters loved playing with him and dressing him up and putting makeup on him and he loved the attention. It’s surprising that he isn’t confused about his gender because they treated him as if he was a truly a little pet/doll for them and their friends. That being said, the sisters, well they did not share anything and they were not friends, and there were hissy fights and screaming and all sorts of emotional wammy going on so good luck with two girls. It’s all good though because look how they all turned out. They are all the best of friends now. It’s me that’s bonkers now, so Becca, Ryan, take care of yourselves and don’t take too seriously sibling rivalry. It will all come out in the wash.

vanessa March 10, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Ha you are right Diane I kind of forgot what we did to our LITTLE brothers. Poor guys had 3 big sisters in my family. I guess boys and girls can be equally as big of stinkerbums ;) I just am excited Lydia gets a SISTER!!

Camille March 11, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Lydia and little sister will be best friends. I’m so excited for you and your little, “growing” family. I never had big brothers… but I can imagine what you described is probably right.

evonne March 11, 2011 at 11:47 pm

tear.

so exciting.

I wanted another little girl…so I guess that means I am going to have to have another one. ;) Devin is a HUGE STINKER, and he is only 1, wish me luck. I am gonna need some.

congrats. can’t wait to hear the name, and see preggo pictures pronto!

Meg R April 7, 2011 at 2:58 pm

We find out the sex in 3 weeks! Time needs to go faster….oh wait…nevermind! I’ve been enjoying my sleep! Only 173 days till I meet this little one who has made me become best friends with a porcelain seat, and who wakes me up all night long! ;)

YAY for being a mommy!!!

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: