Happy, Happy Birthday

by Rebecca on March 3, 2011

Today is my birthday.  Birthdays make me sad these days because I have to be the one to make sure I’m having a good time.  My parents and school friends aren’t around to shower me with attention anymore.  Plus, having to work on your birthday (even if you work from home) is just a bummer.  Really.  (I’m really not this much of a diva in real life, only on my birthdays.)

But maybe if I had a better attitude, I could have the best birthday in the world again.  Reading through my old journal, I discovered that my twelfth birthday was really quite amazing.  Here, I’ll share:

Everything went just great.  The secretary asked me to help her.  We had our pictures taken and I was the one who got all the classes to come get their pictures done.  So I wasn’t in class for half the day!  I also finally got in double dutch.  I’ve never been able to do that!

Yep, friends.  I was the secretary’s special helper, I missed half a day of school, and I perfected a jump rope move.  Who could ask for more?

Maybe if I re-write my day to sound more upbeat like I did as a 12 year old, I would realize just how wonderful my day really has been.

Everything has been wonderful.  I had to hurry out of the shower because my daughter was screaming for me!  And then I got to threaten her not once, not twice, but probably a dozen times that we would absolutely NOT be going to Jamba Juice if she didn’t change her attitude right away, all the while silently pleading with her to just change her stinkin’ attitude so I could go get my Razzmatazz fix on my birthday for crying out loud!  And then I stuffed my pregnant face with homemade peanut butter cookies while I avoided my writing deadlines and watched the minutes count down until I would have to begin teaching piano lessons, which I love any other day of the year but today make me want to run away!

Best day ever!

No really, my husband has done a wonderful job- breakfast in bed, homemade peanut butter cookies with hearts stamped in them, flowers on the kitchen table, out to lunch at Cafe Rio and a special evening up his sleeve.  I’m having a fabulous day.  But wouldn’t it be nice to sign out on mommy and work duties for one day?!?

I wish you all a happy day, in my honor!

{ 10 comments }

Haley March 3, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Razzmatazz is my favorite too!

Camille March 3, 2011 at 5:23 pm

I’ll bet that Razzamatazz changed her attitude :) Can’t wait to find out what the hubs has up his sleeve for tonight!! Next year, tell your piano students they get the day off!! And bring Lydia over here to play with her cousins! Happy Birthday!

Cindy March 3, 2011 at 6:05 pm

I agree with you on the Birthday thing not really being what it used to be. Kind of a rude awakening to realize that birthday’s as a grown up are VERY different. I’m okay with it now, but it was difficult for me the first few years of motherhood. Especially on those birthdays that happen to be a difficult mothering day, or I was tired, or I felt fat, or I was too broke to do anything fun, etc., etc. BUT I really and truly believe it has everything to do with our attitude and how we handle the situations that are put before us! You are a trooper, and I LOVE the honesty! Hope you have a great Birthday evening!

Von March 3, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Be a diva…it is the one time a year you can get away with it.

Emily March 3, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Trust me, it gets even better as you get older. I simply hope for me not totally losing it and maybe getting dinner with my husband. Happy birthday!

Jessica March 3, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Did your husband seriously bake you peanut butter cookies with little heart stamps????
He must really like you. :)
I hope you end up feeling good about your birthday. You are the world to your little girl even if she is whining and complaining ALL day long.
Happy Birthday!!

Kristina P. March 3, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Cafe Rio along makes it worth it!!

mindy March 3, 2011 at 11:39 pm

i love your 12th bday diary! how cute is that! Cafe rio and heart stamped cookies would make me happy….it is a bummer to still have duties though.

Diane Wright March 4, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Your birthday was much better than mine, and mine was great. I wish I was close enough to take you out to lunch and then drop you off and keep Lydia for the rest of the day. But it doesn’t matter. It was fun to read your take on your day. I love, love, love your blog.

Linda March 7, 2011 at 5:08 pm

I loved your birthday. I had a blast at the Louvre, Notre Dame and Saint Chappell. :)

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: