Knocking ADHD Down

by Rebecca on October 8, 2009

Dear Handsome Hubby,

I am so proud of you for passing your insanely hard test at work.  And not only passing, but getting the second highest score EVER on one of the most difficult sections.

Remember your first test with the company?  How you also got the second highest score in Utah and Idaho EVER?  A 98%

Do you think I’m bragging?  You bet I am.  These test scores are unheard of in your history.  ADHD has robbed you of an easy academic time.  Most people don’t understand ADHD.  They think it’s a funny joke.  If somebody is a little spacey for a minute, a little forgetful for a minute, or a little extra hyper, you can be sure to hear a silly joke about that person having ADHD, whether it’s the truth or not.

But ADHD is not just being a little spacey for a minute.  ADHD is serious stuff.  It inhibits your abilities.  And then it makes you feel like you don’t have any abilities.  It makes you wonder if you should even try.

And I’m so proud of you for deciding to try.  I’m so proud of you for studying so hard.  I’m so proud of you for grabbing ADHD by the earlobes, kicking it in the back, and knocking it down.  You sure showed ADHD with your high scores (higher than your peers- have I mentioned that yet?).

With God’s help, we can turn our weaknesses into strengths.

Thank you for showing me this principle in action.  I am now motivated to turn my character flaws into character ahhhs.  (Should I start with my joke making?)  Since you have proven (TWICE) that overcoming weaknesses and actually turning them into strengths is not only a possibility, but a reality, I know it can be done.

Love,

Me

P.S.  I must apologize for celebrating your amazing achievements with poorly made construction paper banners.  You must know you are worth so much more.

{ 9 comments }

Whatever Dee Dee Wants October 8, 2009 at 8:43 am

Wahoo!
My hasband has ADD and I know it can be VERY hard!

Jill October 8, 2009 at 9:09 am

YEAHHHHHHHHH!!! That is so good. I’m a very proud friend! :)

Camille October 8, 2009 at 12:17 pm

Ryan is simply amazing! I have a brother who “suffered” from the inabilities of ADHD all throughout his life so these achievements are really something! And quite frankly, I don’t know if it’s the high energy of the ADHD, but they are super fun to be around!! :)

diane wright October 8, 2009 at 2:00 pm

Wow Becca, You said it all and so well. I’m so very proud of you for being the supportive wife and love of his life person that you are. Ryan, Hooray is not big enough but it’s the best I can muster. I’m very proud of you also.

Evonne October 8, 2009 at 11:04 pm

GREAT post! I know so many that don’t even try, because they use it as an excuse. This is awesome!

diane wright October 9, 2009 at 12:57 pm

one more thing, I see Ryan’s shirt tail peeking out from his jacket. He told me he wore and extra long shirt so it wouldn’t come out.

BethP October 13, 2009 at 8:40 am

Thank you for visiting my blog! I wanted to stop by and let you know I appreciated the comment and was moved by this post because my husband also lives with (I hate “suffers from…”) ADHD! It is definitely difficult at times but so amazing when huge accomplishments are made. Congrats to your husband – that is an amazing feat!

Linda October 18, 2009 at 5:24 pm

What ever the mind of man can believe, he can achieve and Ryan is the example. We already thought he was awesome. Now he is even more awesomer. (Is that a word?)

Melissa B D March 19, 2010 at 11:18 am

YAY!!

I live with ADD myself and I am super impressed and inspired by your husband’s hard work and impressive score!

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: