Craft of the Week- Sewing!

by Rebecca on July 18, 2008

One thing I have always wanted to be supremely good at is sewing.  A neighbor mentioned to me that she sews, and before she even knew what had hit her, I had her commited to being my sewing instructor.  Poor girl.

I am so obnoxiously proud of the dress I made for my baby girl.  I really have no valid reason to be so proud, since said neighbor coached me along every step of the sewing process.

The dress took 7 (SEVEN- OY!) hours to make and I was so excited when it was done.  I put it on Baby Girl right away, only to discover that the guidelines for sizes are WAY off!  She’s swimming in the dress!

Yes, the dress is supposed to go to just below her knees.  It is also supposed to stay up without my husband holding the straps in the back.  It should fit something like this:

Now, for some ridiculous reason, I am attempting this pattern on my own:

Do you think I can do it?  I’m not so sure.  What craft have you always wanted to try?

{ 1 trackback }

My Weakest Point | TJ Hirst
July 21, 2008 at 4:42 am

{ 5 comments }

Ryan July 18, 2008 at 5:03 am

That’s really cute, even if it is too big. I always wanted to try book binding. I’ve read things online on how to do it yourself, and I thought it would be fun.

admin July 18, 2008 at 11:39 am

Book binding? I’ve never even considered that you can do that on your own! That would be fun.

Vanessa July 18, 2008 at 12:33 pm

Aww it is way cute! You did a great job!! I have no desire to sew :( But I like my Mom too :)

Kelly from Almost Frugal July 19, 2008 at 12:46 am

My mother is a bookbinder (and letterpress printer)- in fact I’m going to be giving away one of her handbound blank journals in a few weeks.
Depending on where you live, you could probably find a bookbinding class. I highly recommend learning with someone; it’s not as easy as it looks.
I’ve always wanted to learn about stained glass. The last craft I tried was knitting- not really my thing! I love sewing though.

admin July 19, 2008 at 11:27 am

Ugghhh…knitting looks just awful to me. My mother-in-law is an expert knitter but I just have no desire to learn! It looks way too hard for me! Stained glass would be incredible to learn.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: